Journaling is a great way to let your mind flow freely and learn something new about yourself. It helps you connect with your deepest thoughts and feelings and organize your thoughts when you’re not quite sure what to think. That’s why I have written these 80 journal prompts for personal growth.
You can use the journal prompts in this post to write about your dreams and goals or to get into the right mood for the day. I have divided them into eight different categories, each of which has ten journal prompts for you to choose from.
I hope you find these journal prompts useful and fun!
What are journal prompts
Journal prompts are short questions or sentences that help you start writing when you’re not quite sure what to write about. They are also a great way to get some variety in your journaling and get some new ideas on what to write about.
You can find journal prompts on a lot of different topics, so you are guaranteed to find something that you like.
Why journal prompts help your personal growth
Journal prompts are helpful in working on your personal growth. One part of growing and becoming better is understanding your own mindset, your current self, what exactly you want to work on, what are all the things that you dream of (sometimes even without noticing it yourself), and whether you’re doing enough or not.
Asking yourself the right questions will help you to make changes where necessary, which of course will help you make more progress. Maybe these journal prompts will even lead you to new dreams and goals that you haven’t thought about before!
How to use journal prompts
To use journal prompts, simply pick one that resonates with you and answer it without thinking too much about how good your writing is or whether you are giving the right answer.
If your writing happens to flow in a completely different direction, that’s fine! The whole point of journal prompts is to make you write – not necessarily giving the best answer to the question.
Now, without further ado, let’s get to the journal prompts themselves!
1. What is your biggest dream?
2. When do you think your dreams will come true?
3. If you could only pick two dreams that will come true, which ones would you pick?
4. Why do you have the dreams you have? Why not something else?
5. How much are you willing to do to make your dreams come true?
6. Will you be a different person when your dream comes true?
7. Have you let go of some dreams? Why?
8. If money wasn’t an issue, what would you do?
9. What big changes do you think you have to do to make your dreams come true?
10. What more could you do every day for your dreams?
11. What motivates you the most?
12. Who is your biggest motivation and why?
13. What do you do when you don’t feel like doing anything?
14. Do you think it’s important to be motivated?
15. What always puts you in a motivated, energetic mood?
16. What does success mean to you?
17. What accomplishments are you most proud of?
18. Are you afraid of failure?
19. What kind of situations make you feel unmotivated?
20. What are your most important long-term goals?
Routines and habits
21. What productive habits do you want to build?
22. Why is it hard to change your habits?
23. Why do you keep procrastinating?
24. What kind of mornings do you love?
25. Are there any bad habits you want to get rid of?
26. What kind of habits do you think successful people have?
27. What would be your ideal night routine?
28. What should you prioritize to reach your goals faster?
29. What kind of a morning routine would help you start your day right?
30. How can you build new habits and stick to them?
Past and future
31. If you could go back in time, what would you do differently?
32. Do you think you become a different person as time passes?
33. What do you think your future will be like?
34. What do you wish you could bring from the past to the present day?
35. How have you changed in the past ten years?
36. How has life surprised you in the past?
37. Do you think you already know what will happen in the future?
38. Are you excited to see what will happen?
39. Do you think your past dictates your future?
40. Where do you think you will live 20 years from now?
41. What makes you feel confident?
42. In what kind of situations do you feel shy or insecure?
43. Have you become more confident over the years?
44. What are your best qualities?
45. What do you think your friends and family think about you?
46. How does negative self-talk affect your self-image?
47. What makes you feel really good about yourself?
48. What you could do to become a bit more confident every day?
49. What is the best compliment you have ever gotten?
50. What do you think is the key to confidence?
51. What is your biggest fear?
52. What are you afraid of that keeps you from trying something you want to do?
53. What is the hardest thing that ever happened to you?
54. How do you usually respond to stress and worry?
55. What if none of your dreams will ever come true?
56. Would you consider yourself a pessimist? Do you think pessimism makes sense?
57. What would you do if your biggest fear came true?
58. Do you think things tend to go wrong?
59. Write about one time when you overcame your fear.
60. How could you replace your fear with belief in yourself and your abilities?
61. How do you want to grow this year?
62. What do you think your life will be like five years later?
63. What skills do you want to learn?
64. What is the biggest challenge you want to overcome?
65. What is holding you back from becoming the person you want to be?
66. If you didn’t care about what other people think, how would you change your life today?
67. Do you think you have a growth mindset?
68. How could you start believing in yourself more?
69. What characteristics do you wish you had?
70. What have you always wished you were like? Could you do something about it?
71. What would your dream job be like?
72. If you keep doing what you are doing, will your career go in the right direction?
73. How are you a better employee now than before?
74. Does your job make you happy?
75. What do you want your work-life balance to be like?
76. Do you think your current job helps you grow?
77. What are the biggest obstacles when it comes to your dream career?
78. Do you feel like you fit in with your colleagues?
79. What is the hardest thing about your job?
80. Imagine what your career will look like ten years from now.
If you are looking for a new journal, this Paperage journal is the one I recommend.
Do you like to use journal prompts, or are you doing this for the first time? Does journaling help you reach your goals? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Make sure to also share this post on social media!